Be An Inspirational LeaderPosted on September 17th, 2012
The ability to inspire is one of the must have characteristics of today’s leaders. Here are 19 quick leadership training tips to help you inspire, motivate and reenergise your people.
- Anyone who is responsible for the performance of others is a leader.
- Choose to be a leader who brings out the best in people.
- Make others feel capable, confident and strong.
- Love them or lose them.
- Set the direction. We must know where we are going if we expect others to join us on the journey.
- Throw down a challenge. People respond to a challenge
- If we are less than forthcoming, trust is diminished – Ken Blanchard
- People do best when they believe in themselves. So the job of the leader is to encourage people to believe in themselves.
- It is the leader’s responsibility to be upbeat regardless of the situation. Always look for one, two or three good things to focus on.
- Employees are more sensitive to mood than leaders often realise. Optimism is a force multiplier.
- Change self-talk from a beaten up style to a warrior style.
- The leader takes most of the blame and gives most of the praise away.
- The four most important words in any business – ‘What do you think?’
- The three most dangerous words – ‘I know that’. They are the verbal equivalent of a closed mind.
- If you treat people like they make a difference, they will make a difference – Jim Goodnight, CEO, SAS
- Is your culture what you want or has it defaulted into a path of least resistance? Creating and maintaining a strong, vibrant, aligned culture takes work otherwise it can become a silent killer of progress.
- Be candid. Outline the challenges. Explain your plan. Ask for advice. Listen.
- Always assume positive intent.
- Create a culture where people have a tremendous opportunity to be heard. Sometimes all you have to do to inspire people is to listen and act on what you hear. Carry a notebook and write ideas down.
Read more about LDL management and leadership training
Check out The Inspirational Leadership Seminar