Leaders think progress. Believe in progress. Push for progress. Everything around us is growing. We can’t stand still, we can either move forwards with it or drop back. It is impossible to be in business today, use yesterday’s skills and expect to be in front tomorrow.
Here are 8 personal leadership ideas to help:
1. Don’t let tradition – ‘Why change it, that’s the way it’s always been done’ stagnate your mind. Instead experiment try new approaches.
2. Become a ‘How can I do it better?’ person. When you ask yourself this, your creative power is switched on. Remember the fun phrase: Good, better, best; never let it rest until your good is better and your better is best. The sentiment is spot on.
3. Ask yourself ‘How can I do more? Capacity IS a state of mind. We all think we are doing as much as we can until we meet someone who is doing more.
4. Eliminate ‘Impossible’, ‘Won’t work’, ‘Can’t do it’ from both your speaking and thinking vocabulary. Recent research into neuroplasticity confirms what leaders have always known – we become what we think about.
5. Be an enthusiast for your profession. Thousands start a new job and wait for the job to prove itself to them. It never will, the job doesn’t care. It’s irrelevant when we get into the business, what counts is when the business gets into us.
6. If you were an outside investor, would you invest in YOU?
7. S-T-R-E-T-C-H your mind. Associate with people who can help you think of new ideas, new ways of doing things. Mix with people of different social and business interests. A mind that feeds only on itself, rapidly becomes undernourished and incapable of creative thought.
8. Convert excess tension relieving time into goal achieving time. Goal achieving is the time we spend moving towards our goal. Tension relieving is the relaxation, the unwinding that each of us needs every day, but we only need so much to recover from the stress and strain of daily life. Any excess is waste.
Read more about LDL leadership and management programmes